About Me

My photo
I am a mother, an artist, a dialysis patient, and a dork.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

My life as a dialysis patient



As some of you may know, dialysis is "a process for removing waste and excess water from the blood, and is primarily used to provide an artificial replacement for lost for lost in people with renal failure."
I currently do dialysis 3 days a week, and the treatment lasts 4 hours. I wont bore you with the gruesome,scientific details of what happens during dialysis. Long story short, they stick 2 rather large needles in my arm, clean my blood, and I go home. 
I consider myself to be very lucky. There are many people who have far worse fates. My life as a dialysis patient is relatively easy. I am otherwise healthy, and I have a decent support network.
I am 28 now, but I began dialysis in 2007. I have had many surgeries. I am currently on the waitlist for a kidney. The waitlist in Illinois is about 4 years, in some places it is much more!
Some days are better than others, as with most things.

Insert shameless plug here:
As a dialysis patient, I feel the need to let everyone know how AWESOME it would be for you to sign your donor cards for this holiday season! * You need to share your wishes with a loved one!!
I understand that it is a grim topic, but lets face it, life can be pretty grim. Noone gets out alive. (buh dum buh cha!)
Please, spread the word! 

Also, for those of you in the giving spirit, there are plenty of organizations out there that can use your spare change and/or time. I wont list them here, because I believe each and every charity needs assistance, and I will not be one of those people who push one or the other.

2 comments:

  1. Just a thought, for those who sign organ donor cards, they have to make sure that their families know their wishes. Just because they've signed the card doesn't automatically make them an organ donor. It's the family that makes the final decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Riki! I never even thought to put that!!

    ReplyDelete