About Me

My photo
I am a mother, an artist, a dialysis patient, and a dork.

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Raising a rockin' awesome kid

It was brought to my attention today that I have never really censored my son when it comes to music. I always told myself that I really wouldn't want to. Until today.
                                                     "Parents just don't understand"

He is now a fiesty 7 year old boy. He is a smart ass, just like his mommy. He loves to make others laugh, have a good time, and he is really bright. All great qualities, if you ask me.
Lately, I have wanted to stop him from watching some shows on Nickelodeon! I never, ever thought I would need to censor a kids channel, but he came home with a lovely hickey, and I ask him, "whaaaat is this? and who taught you how?" I got the answer "Fred" (who is this fred?!?) He means the 'interent sensation' and current movie star, Fred. Oooook... 
                                  And not to mention, ICarly.... Oh my.

That is G rated! I have let him watch shows like Batman Begins and there is less sexual innuendo!
When I had him, I also told myself he would never become a 'couch potato' In fact, we didn't have cable until we moved back home! But, that quickly changed. He loves his shows. And that is just fine, but now I find myself having to watch some of them, just to be sure he isn't learning anything... unsavory.
Now, when it comes to music, I, personally, have eclectic tastes, and listen to everything. We have never come across anything that he has found worthy of repeating. He knows what cursing is. Mommy, don't say that! It is a bad word! So, it came as a small shock that he would even repeat the F word. But, he did. 
I can't hardly be mad about it, I was the one who played the song, I am the one who allowed him to be exposed to the language. Hell, I've even been known to slip up and say it myself, right within his earshot. How could I possibly get mad? I simply tell him, "You know that was innapropriate, and you are NOT and adult" and I leave it at that.
So, now I am left with wondering if I should or should not censor him. I know he is a great kid, and honestly, they are just words. He will hear them at school, on t.v., movies, music. So, why censor it? I wasn't. And I turned out.... well, decent. HA!
Besides, he may just become the next death metal supah star. Boy sure has some lung power! You never would have known he was a premie!!
This kid is amazing. He shocks me daily. And, I admittedly LOVE it.
There are so many other things that we will have to worry about when they get older, I really do not think that censoring words is a battle worth having. Teach the kids the appropriate time and place.
When I was his age, When I was in middle school, I was still playing Barbies, watching kid shows, I didn't own a cell phone, personal computer, mp3 player, the latest kicks, jeans, whathaveyou. Facebook didn't exist, and family time was a must. Little girls wore clothes, actual clothes, and didn't look like little whores. We wore make up to play in, and the occational times for concerts. Not a daily occurrence for anyone that young. What the hell happened to innocence??
Sorry, I got a tiny bit side tracked there for a minute. Relevant, but side tracked, nonetheless.
Point of my post is this, my son is a good kid, he would be the first to help another in need, hes smart, sweet, and he has manners. He cares and he loves to make people laugh and smile. So, should I really care if he listens to music that may or may not be appropriate for his age?
                    And, he doesn't mind the "stage" make-up! Hollywood here we come!
I may be biased but, I have one hell of a rockin' awesome kid!
God, I love my son!

No comments:

Post a Comment